We Mainers know potatoes. Russets, round whites, chefs, Yukon golds, so many choices! While baked and mashed may be at the top of most lists I have to say that scalloped are among my favs. There are so many ways to vary the basic scalloped potato but the cheese will always make this one king. Throw it in the smoker to make it even better!
Cast iron is always my got to when I can and scalloped potatoes are perfect this way. When I'm using the smoker cast iron is perfect since it heats evenly.
Here's what you need:
2 tbs unsalted butter
1 small minced shallot
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbs, flour, cornstarch or gluten free flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half and half
3 -4 large potatoes, sliced and rinsed
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup shredded 3 cheese blend
1/4 cup beer ( optional)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke ( optional if you are using a smoker)
salt and pepper to taste
Here's how to do it:
Preheat the oven to 350 or get the the smoker to 325
I used a 10" cast iron pan. You can use a casserole dish for the oven
1. Cook the potatoes in salted water til just under done.
2. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and add shallots and garlic.
3. Cook 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add the flour/cornstarch/gluten free flour and stir until golden.
4. Slowly add the milk and half and half while stirring. Add the beer and continue to stir until thickened.
5. Add the salt, pepper, paprika. Fold in the potatoes.
6. Pour half of the potato mixture into the pan. Top with half of the shredded cheese. Add the remaining potato mixture and top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake or smoke until golden on top and the sides are bubbling, about 40 minutes.